Monday, May 11, 2015

Hall of Famer Omar Vargas returns to CCNY

Louis Brandeis’ boys’ volleyball coach Jose Omar Vargas returned to CCNY, coaching his team to a narrow 27-25, 25-19 victory over the High School for Math, Science, and Engineering on April 29. Vargas was inducted into CCNY’s Hall of Fame in 2009 after starting the college’s mens’ volleyball team, and winning both the CUNY mens’ and womens’ championships.

Jose Omar Vargas points to his Hall of Fame plaque / N. Diunte
“Quite frankly it is like returning home,” Vargas said.

Brandeis' captain and outside hitter Joel Ortiz played extremely well, recording five digs and nine kills. Vargas praised Ortiz after the game.

“He’s always hustling on the court, talking to the kids and making them better,” Vargas said. “He’s a true leader and I love him for that.”

Vargas has transformed Brandeis into a school where volleyball is a popular sport, with more people trying to make the team. Coach Vargas has also established a work-hard philosophy for the team.

“I have the reputation of being a disciplinarian,” he said. “I’m a nice guy, but I don’t play any games. If you give me your time, I’m going to respect you.”

Although Vargas has retired from teaching at Brandeis, he continues to coach the boys’ volleyball team. He cites his true love for the game as the reason he keeps coaching.

“I’m no longer coaching to win a game, I’m coaching for life,” he said. “That’s my legacy; to make young people better, to appreciate the game, and to enjoy it for life.”

Contributed by Michael Stern and Velid Mulic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...