Wednesday, May 31, 2017

HSMSE boys’ baseball team flourishing without star pitcher

Injuries are an unfortunate, yet common part of athletics. Sports teams constantly presented with injuries are forced to adjust without their key players. The High School for Math, Science, and Engineering boys’ baseball team was not excused from the proverbial injury bug this year. Their top pitcher, junior JJ Katzman, went down with a right arm injury; however, with the pitching of veteran seniors and rising freshman, the team rallied to win its first playoff game in school history.

Katzman’s injury was a result of fatigue and arm discomfort that prohibited him from taking the mound for the majority of the season. Coach David Schieman was forced to place him in centerfield for the rest of the season, as he was unable to pitch.

“My arm isn’t fully strained so I can play most games,” Katzman said. “However, I still cannot throw at full strength. It can be frustrating sometimes, but I’m working through it.”

In addition to his fielding, Katzman was also limited in the batter’s box. Prior to the injury, he had the one of the highest batting averages on the team. Due to the injury, his bat speed became much slower than normal.

“My swing is a bit weaker than usual because I'm not able to use all of my muscles as some tendons are stressed,” Katzman admitted. “But, I'm still able to make solid contact and get on base, so I tend not to worry about it.”

In Katzman’s absence on the mound, the rest of the team’s pitchers have carried the load. Coach Schieman is very impressed at how the team has performed without Katzman pitching. He credits the team for not missing a beat and playing hard throughout every game.

“I think the team has performed very well considering the circumstances,” Schieman said. "The injury to JJ was a tough blow. He’s got a great arm and great understanding of the game. Adam [Greenberg] and Maxwell [Hines] picked up the pitching load along with Tej [Telymonde]. It was great to see us still win games.” 

Coach’s decision to spread out the pitching rotation paid imminent dividends. Four-year veteran Hines has a 1.16 ERA in over 12 innings pitched this season. Greenberg, another four-year veteran, has a perfect 7-0 record with an ERA below 1.00.

The freshman Telymonde has not given up a run in his nine innings on the mound, and his play has given the team optimism about next year. Katzman will also be able to return to the mound next season, as a rising senior. He is focused on getting his arm back to full strength and dedicating his free time to making a full recovery.

“I plan to strengthen my arm's injured area as well as my shoulder and tricep over the summer so I can make up for my current weakness,” Katzman said. “Currently I continue to ice after every game and rest my arm as much as possible when I'm not playing in a game.”

While Katzman will be ready to pitch next spring, he still has high expectations for the team this year. Along with Coach Schieman, he is confident in his teammates’ ability to produce on the field and on the scoreboard.

“Baseball is a team sport so if one man goes down everyone else will fill the void.” Katzman said. “I am extremely satisfied in how the team has played with and without me. It shows how deep we are as a ballclub.”

The team finished with a 10-6 record, four of those wins coming with Katzman on the mound. With the 12th seed, they defeated Ice High School 3-1 at Randall’s Island, with Greenberg pitching another great game. Nevertheless, Katzman is certain that a second round berth is not the ceiling for this team.

“I think this team is capable of winning it all,” Katzman declared. “We just need to be intense from the first pitch to the last pitch of the playoffs, My injury shouldn't be an reason for our great team to lose. We are a championship team, regardless of whether or not I’m pitching.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...