Thursday, March 2, 2017

Eric Abreu’s leadership drives HSMSE boys basketball to playoffs

Eric Abreu’s improvement throughout his four year tenure on the High School for Math Science and Engineering’s boys’ basketball team has propelled the Dragons to their first playoff appearance in five seasons.

In the 2016-17 season, Abreu scored 16.7 ppg, placing him second in his division. His scoring output is even more impressive considering the fact that he has doubled it since freshman year.

“There wasn’t many seniors on the team when I came, so through the years I tried to step into that leadership role,” Abreu said. “[I wanted to] be that leader that we didn’t have.” 

Aside from his on-court contribution, Abreu is also a tremendous asset off the court. He must balance his responsibilities in the Mount Sinai concentration, a medical internship that HSMSE offers that requires the student to spend half the school day at Mount Sinai hospital. Abreu makes sure that his work at Mount Sinai does not interfere with his role on the team.

Teammates show appreciation for Eric
Abreu / T. Henning

“I try to make up for Sinai when I don’t have school,” he said.

As one of only two four year players on the team, he must be a mentor for players who are not as experienced in the PSAL, and try to mold new additions to contributors for the team. Gabriel Culian is a second year player for the Dragons, and he feels his production has increased through Abreu's guidance.

“Certain times when I was working by myself he would come to me and show me certain skills,” Culian said. “He’s pushed me to strive harder in school and he’s helped me when I had trouble.” 

Since the Dragons are heading into the playoffs for the first time since the 2011-12 season, no current member on the team has played a game in the postseason. Despite their lack of experience, Abreu is confident the team will do well.

“Over the years I've been on the team, we've gotten a lot better,” Abreu said. “When the ball is in someone else's hands, they can do something well for the team.”

Authored By Mohammed Kabir, Michael Stern, Matthias Granja

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...