Friday, April 11, 2014

Katie Ledecky's journey to success

Katie Ledecky / Geoff Livingston
Although she is just 17 years old, Kathleen Ledecky is currently one of the most outstanding long distance swimmers in the world. Growing up in Bethesda, Md., Ledecky put in lots of hard work into her training. She started swimming at age six with her older brother Michael, and her mother, Mary Gen, who swam for the University of New Mexico. 

“My family is great … [and] is largely the reason I got involved with swimming in the first place. I owe them all a lot for what I’ve accomplished,” Ledecky said to Mike Watkins in a 2013 interview. 

Ledecky had the wonderful opportunity to swim with Olympic swimmers all around the world and the U.S. Olympic team. Meeting many Olympic swimmers has further encouraged Ledecky to swim more and try harder to break her times. She won her first international gold medal in the 2012 London Olympics for the 800 meter freestyle. Currently swimming for Nation’s Capital Swim Club, training about two and a half to five hours a day, Ledecky strives to continue taking the gold. Ledecky demonstrates her love for swimming by dedicating many hours to the pool.

 “Sometimes I have morning practices, where I’m up at 3:55 a.m. I’m in the water at 4:45,” Ledecky said in a 2012 interview with Julia Rasicot of Bethesda Magazine.

Holding many American records, Katie Ledecky is best known for her World Records in the 800 meter and 1,500 meter freestyle. On top of all her underwater accomplishments, Ledecky also won the 2013 FINA Athlete of the Year award for swimming for her high achievements. Ledecky’s many hours of training have certainly paid off and shown through her success.

 “It’s been a goal of mine to break 4:30, I’ve had my eye on that for a while and it feels really good to get that done,” Ledecky said in a 2014 interview with Jennifer Beekman of Maryland Community News.

 It is amazing how Ledecky is able to compete in the Olympics, World Champs, Duel in the pool, U.S. Nationals, and qualify for Olympic trials, and at the same time attend school. Correspondingly being on a swim team, as well as being a student, requires a lot of time, studying, training, and hard work.

 “I only train in the morning twice, maybe three times a week. And then from there I go to school. And then I have afternoon practice, right after school until 6. Then I get home and I eat and I do my homework,” Ledecky said to Rasicot.

 Ledecky has a tight schedule yet she still finds a way to manage both swimming and school. She continues to display her commitment to balancing the sport of swimming along with being a student and follows her passion for swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...