Monday, November 21, 2011

Will Power resumes driving

Will Power. Photo courtesy from insidetherace
After about a month without a car, IndyCar driver Will Power is returning to driving. Power injured his back for the second time in the IndyCar Series finale at Las Vegas, but has received medical clearance to get back in a race car.

Power was hospitalized with several other drivers including Indy 500 champion Dan Wheldon who had died from the accident. "It was so hard, comprehending everything that happened, really, that someone had actually been killed," he said on SportsIllustrated.com. Power’s car hit Alex Lloyd’s car from behind which caused him to fly in the air. Knowing there were other drivers severely injured, Power climbed out of the car and had an ambulance to take him to the hospital. "There were a lot of damaged cars, a lot of fires," he said on Al.com. "I knew I damaged my back but there were other drivers who needed help more."
On November 14th, Power tested the new 2012 IndyCar for Chevrolet. He ran 115 laps at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama, and said he felt better and showed improvement. "Physically, I felt absolutely fine, great, no soreness at all where I hurt my back," Power said. "I felt bloody good."
Power believes the car is good on road courses. "On the road courses, the car is quite nice," he said. "The car no question is faster and has more grip. But it still needs some work. It still needs to get working a little better." However, Power would like to see IndyCar make changes on the oval tracks. "It's too dangerous. The cars are too close together," he said. IndyCar officials are said to be making improvements on safety.
Power is looking forward to racing again. "I was very much looking forward to getting back in the car, just getting back in the swing of things,” he said on ESPN.com. Power says he is committed to IndyCar and he will not leave. He believes he’s going to be a better racer now that he has more experience. “I feel much more confident. I know what to expect and what I want from my car. I gained a lot of experience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...